Seth Weisser and Gerard Maione are the ultimate curators of luxury fashion. With over 25 years of experience purveying the most coveted high end pieces, they know quality and craftsmanship. Now the two share their essential knowledge about the iconic Birkin bag and answer all our questions.
1. Why are Hermès Birkins a good investment? According to time.com’s report on a study conducted by Baghunter, the annual return on a Birkin is 14.2% — an average return that beats out both the S&P 500 index and the price of gold. The supply and demand also heavily impact a Birkin’s value. With the waiting list for a new Birkin averaging six years, women are perhaps even more eager to purchase a pre-owned Birkin on the resale market than they are to wait six years to buy a new one.
2. What does a Birkin say about a woman? A woman carrying a Birkin signifies unparalleled and elevated taste when it comes to luxury and style. A Birkin is the ultimate symbol of success, and automatically commands recognition for any woman (or man) who carries it.
3. Are some Birkins better than others? All Birkins are made with the same authentic quality craftsmanship, though different sizes, colors, and materials change the value. Many are also custom-made or special editions, which increases their collectability. Right now, 25cm and 30cm are the sizes trending strongest in the resale market.
4. What is the ultimate Birkin? The Himalaya is considered to be the most coveted and valuable handbag in the world. The rarest of all Himalayas (and the most expensive) features 174 grams of solid gold and 10-carat diamond hardware. This Birkin was sold at a Christie’s auction in Hong Kong in 2017 for upwards of $365,000.
5. What color Birkin should every woman have? The classic black or gold is a definite starter for any collection. As you become more advanced, you should expand your palette, and play around with some of the brand’s unique and rare shades.
6. How do you pick the best Birkin size? Hermès Birkins come in five sizes (25cm, 30cm, 35cm, 40cm, 50cm), so your best choice depends on how you plan to use it. If you want a going-out bag, opt for a 25cm. If you’re planning to use it for travel or as a work bag, the 40cm or 50cm Birkin is your winner. Plus, both will accommodate your laptop.
7. Is the Birkin really the best-quality bag out there? Yes. The Birkin is the most luxurious, highest-quality handbag you can own. The price is commensurate with the quality craftsmanship that goes into cutting, sewing, and crafting each bag by hand and to perfection — it takes a single artisan 48 hours to make one bag. This attention to detail makes a Birkin bag unlike any other on the market.
What Goes Around Comes Around
48 Main Street, East Hampton
Monday–Thursday 10 a.m. –6 p.m.
Friday–Sunday 10 a.m. –7 p.m.